Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Chistory or Chassidic History

I went to volunteer at the museum where I used to intern on Sunday.

It was really cool to arrive and to see some Jewish guys in the lobby. Though the museum is a historically Jewish, it doesn't attract the masses of Orthodox Jews it should as a great place for families to visit. It especially doesn't attract young adults on a Sunday morning.

One of the guys was a lanky giant, over six feet tall with overgrown hair and peyot (side locks). Another had a beard but no peyot. All three were wearing yalmulkas and tzitzit. I was super excited to see orthodox Jews my age taking an interest in something I feel passionate about.

A few minutes later, the Director of Visitor Services started chatting with them and I realized they weren't there for a tour. They were a band scoping out a location for a music video. #disappointed #zusha #neverheardofthem

On the Germany Close Up program this summer, two of the participants were students of history so I know history is not lost art. However, Orthodox Jews, particularly Chasidic Jews, have a different American history than other Jews. The museum celebrates Jewish American culture, a lot of which is not part of the Chassidic heritage. I wonder if that accounts for the dearth of Orthodox visitors.

Chassidish Jews did not generally partake in Yiddish theatre nor read American Jewish literature that shaped the culture of secular Jews today. The Jewish culture that the museum celebrates does not always transfer to chassidish history.

Chassidic culture emphasis oral history. I did not realize until I was older and waiting on line for Moth events to hear people tell stories how much it had been a part of my upbringing and education. Speakers at our school would tell stories about their lives as emissaries of the Chabad Rebbe. The stories usually had a lesson. The oral history happened at farbrengen and dinner tables. Growing up, I heard tales of Chassidic masters spanning the centuries and anecdotes of their disciples. These stories nurtured my identity and gave me an understanding of where I come from.

There is a fascinating discussion by a psychologists on how family narratives lend to identity and how they boost self confidence to withstand challenges. Telling family stories to children is not just about moral lessons, it is also armor. This idea is immensely powerful and there is a museum in Israel encouraging families to share that story

These narratives also lent itself to developing my love of history even for history that is not wholly my own as it shows how society was shaped and can even predict where society will go. The museum hosts as lot of culturally American-Jewish events. Klezmer music, Yiddish theatre and the like however that is not my family history nor the history of the Chassidism. Regardless, it shapes where we are today.

An orthodox synagogue in my neighborhood is doing klezmer nights though it is culturally Jewish. We share each others history. All branches of Judaism collectively make up where we stand today. Learning each other's history may allow us to understand each other better. Come visit the museum some time.

Happy Chanukah!

No comments:

Post a Comment